Sunday, September 13, 2009

Provincial Crit at the Mint

An awesome day for a race... temperature was probably around 26 degrees, and light south wind that increased a little as the race progressed.
Master A/B were combined together to make a decent size group.. I don't think you'd want it too much larger on todays course which looked more like a downsized formula 1 course than anything. Right after the start you follow the road around the mint which isn't straight, but not too curvy, followed by a sharp 90 degree right turn going slightly uphill to the next road, about 150m of straight away followed by a 90 degree right, into a left, into a 90 degree left into a 90 degree right (aka crash corner) Our race was 40 minutes + 3 laps and 2 primes.
Right from the gun it was go... I made sure to be at the front and had no intentions of ever drifting more than 5-6 places from the back. I anaged this for 99% of the race. At one point I was sitting in about the 7th spot and wasn't liking it.. time to move up. Apparently after the first lap it was broken up already, I never looked back once in this race. I think there was a group of about 7 or 8 of us together, like I said, never looked back! With 3 to go, things went crazy.. I was positioned in 3rd spot and stayed there pretty well.. with eithe 2 or 3 to go on crash corner I heard sliding behind me. Another attack, jumped on Rory who was just givin her full tilt!! Trevor got around us at one point on the final lap and managed to stay away, Rory dumped it on crash corner right in front of me, I managed to avoid him.. all I remember is Rry on his side and sliding backwards.. damn.. hopefully his wrist is OK... I ended up with 2nd in Master A.. stole a Silver... Rory would have had it for sure if he didn't go down.
Well that unfortunealty ends the road race calendar.. a little ironic as it seems summer just arrived in the last week and half... what can ya do.. mother nature is one weird chick....
Next up Cyclocross which will be every weekend from now until November 8th... wow that seems so close now... and checking my calendar, I'll be riding in Maui in 6 months anyways.. hopefully this is a short winter!!